Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Influences

@ 10:57A.M.
Southwest Houston

I woke up this morning...extremely out of my element and ready to roll back into bed. I got down on my knees and acknowledged God's presence and gave thanks for today. I got on the computer to check out the happenings of the world and decided to check up on two good mentors that I am fortunate to have met on this musical journey in 2009, YO & Thurzday of U-N-I.

It wasn't too long ago in March that I was sitting with them at a restaurant off Westheimer and getting familiar with them prior to their engagement at a popular sneaker shop in Downtown Houston. It was so crazy. I had no idea who they were, but from coast to coast... the fame of these two men who have broken a common trend in West Coast hip hop were sitting in front of me. I was completely unaware. However, when my sister's best friend threw on their CD in the car on the way to the event...a light bulb went off in my mind, and I've been hooked ever since. That night at the Galleria, local hip hop superstar and radio personality GT greeting us and I gave him my last copy of their mix tape...hoping that I can make that effect on him.


It constantly happens...that light bulb. It can be me watching my big brother Future the Poet in action on stage as he stimulates peoples minds with affluent knowledge on sex, poverty, self identity, race, class, (etc.). There was also another time when I met my favorite Canadian actor in the mall over two years ago inside the Gucci store. He personally to told me and my sister that he was on tour with NeYo and starting to focus more on this hip hop thing. On May 9th, 2009, Drake sold out Warehouse Live in downtown Houston. I love that concert and it was so wonderful to see Houston gain realization on what I have known about for so long.

Recently, my best friend Stephcynie Curry (NYC Singer and Songwriter) got her Mom to organize a great opportunity for myself and many other singers in the Houston area to perform with Crefelo Dollar Ministries. The day before, I was just about to call my job and tell them that they made a mistake on my schedule...nevertheless...as God would have it...he made that happen so that I wouldn't miss out on his blessings and INFLUENCE.


Each and every person that I have mentioned has contributed to the stimulation that I so often feel in my heart about why I cannot give up on singing and songwriting. I anticipate that I will continue to have these "light bulb" effects with every person that I come in contact with.

In time, I hope to be some one's "light bulb" as well...

One Luv & God Bless, Peace.

-IvyLove

No comments:

Post a Comment